Essential Oil Uses
When thinking about using essential oils, most people default to their oil diffuser and their favorite oil mix. However, there are so many unexpected things that essential oils are good for. We’ve created a list of our top 25 different essential oil uses for your day-to-day life that you never thought of! And this is just the beginning.
Yes, your oil diffuser is a great option for using essential oils for aromatherapy, but have you ever tried:
1. Upgrading your Candle to a scented one by adding a few drops of essential oil to the melted wax around the wick after it has been lit.
2. Infusing your Home with scent by adding a small amount of your favorite blend of oils onto your new furnace filter.
3. Refreshing Fabrics by using essential oils to create a fabric refresher for musty fabrics from the closet, or add a few drops of lavender to your pillowcase each night for a deeper more relaxing sleep.
4. Jazzing up your Stationary by adding a drop of essential oil to your cards or letters that complement the season or occasion.
Around the House
Essential oils are good for a whole host of household uses such as...
5. Deodorizing your garbage by putting a few drops of citrus essential oil on a cotton ball in the bottom of the bag. The oil will help to neutralize the odor and you can opt out of the awful scented bags from the store.
6. Disinfecting your dish sponge with a few drops of antibacterial lemon and tea tree oil each day.
7. Scenting your laundry by adding a couple drops of essential oil to your unscented detergent to each load of laundry. Choose a different oil each time to suit your mood!
8. Refreshing your mattress with a few drops of essential oil in a cup of baking soda, sprinkle it over your mattress and vacuum it up after a couple hours.
9. Repelling pests by spraying peppermint oil mixed with water across doorways, windows and in any nooks and crannies that are attractive to insects or rodents.
10. Infusing your shoes with a few drops of basil oil at the end of each day to keep foot odor and fungus at bay.
Health Remedies & Healing
There are a vast number of essential oil uses when it comes to our health, but a few of the more innovative ideas include:
11. Avoiding Germs by creating your own natural hand sanitizer. Combine cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary oils into a small spray bottle filled with water, shake well and spray hands as needed.
12. Clearing Cold Sores by applying 1-2 drops of tea tree essential oil directly to the sore.
13. Relieving itching by applying a salve made of lavender essential oil and your choice of carrier oil.
14. Detoxifying your body by enhancing your Epsom salt bath with rosemary and juniper essential oils.
15. Soothing Menstrual Cramps with a warm compress infused with clary sage, basil and rosemary oils.
For the Heart and Soul
Essential oils are great for your mental and emotional health too. Try –
16. Boosting Focus when you’re working or studying with a little spritz of peppermint or spearmint essential oil mixed with water from a spray bottle.
17. Staying Alert with a quick whiff of rosemary essential oil instead of having that extra coffee.
18. Relaxing Your Mind along with your body in the tub with an addition of chamomile, cedarwood or lavender oil to your bathwater
Body & Beauty
Essential oils can provide a boost of power and pleasing scent to your body care routines:
19. Enhance your skin with a few drops of geranium essential oil in your face cream to help slough off dead skin cells and promote tighter skin.
20. Soothe dry skin with your own homemade body butter. Mix shea butter, vitamin E oil, beeswax and a few drops of essential oil.
21. Remove Blemishes with a drop of tea tree oil on your skin.
22. Brighten your hair by spritzing it with a few drops of lemon oil in water before going out into the sun – but be sure not to get it on your skin as it can cause burns in the sun.
23. Promote hair growth by applying several drops of rosemary oil mixed with a carrier oil to your scalp after shampooing, let it sit then rinse out in the shower.
24. Cleanse your mouth by swishing with coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil to clear out bacteria and toxins.
25. Deodorize naturally by mixing 5-10 drops of a deodorizing essential oil with a carrier oil and applying it directly under your arms. Some great essential oil choices include: thyme, lemongrass and peppermint.
Looking to Buy from one of the Best Essential Oil Brands?
These 25 uses not enough info for you? Because there are a huge variety of different essential there are undoubtedly many more uses than we can list even in this article. We started AromEssential to try and alleviate some of the guesswork from essential oils and provide informative, supported content for you to learn from. The best place to start learning more is by checking out our comprehensive guide to essential oils that's right here!